Missing teeth can affect your life in many ways. Apart from compromising your aesthetic appearance, missing teeth also lead to poor tooth functionality. You could be unable to chew food or even speak properly. Earlier, the treatment of missing teeth was restricted to dentures alone. But with the advancements in dental technology, many other options are available to solve your problem. Dental implants are one of them.
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots inserted into your jawbone. They are made using titanium. Once appropriately fused to your jawbone, implants provide a solid foundation to your prosthetic teeth, like dental crowns. They comprise three parts, implant (titanium studs), abutment, and crown.
How are Implants Placed?
Before starting the procedure, we conduct your dental examination to check your dental health and jawbone density. If you do not have enough jawbone to support the implant, you may require a bone graft surgery first, followed by implant surgery. During bone grafting, we take transplanted bone from your body or use synthetic bone tissues and perform the graft.
For implants, we give local anesthesia so that you do not feel pain or discomfort throughout the procedure. An incision is made through your gum to expose the jawbone. The implant is placed and screwed in place. Your gums will be sutured, and you will be allowed some time to heal. This healing time, also known as osseointegration, ensures that the implant is fused properly to your jawbone.
On your second appointment, we will bond the abutment to connect your implant with the dental crown. This procedure involves minor surgery to open up your gums and place the abutment. We will take the impressions of your teeth and send them to the lab to prepare dental crowns. We will also cover the abutment with a temporary crown.
On the final appointment, the temporary crown will be replaced with the permanent crown.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
- Dental implants prevent bone loss and keep your dental health in check in the long run.
- The restoration matches the appearance of your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are comfortable to wear. Unlike dentures, they do not slip from the mouth.
- Implants restore your bite force.
- Dental implants also help support your facial structure, thus making you look younger than ever.
- Dental implants solve your problem of missing teeth permanently.
- Caring for implants is easy and hassle-free.
- Implants also keep other dental problems like cavities and tooth decay at bay.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Madison Park Dental, call (208) 356-5601 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit us at 345 N. 2ND E., Suite 2, Rexburg, ID 83440.