The general dentistry services available at our Rexburg, ID, practice help patients maintain their oral health, identify potential problems early on, and work toward long-term oral health goals. At Madison Park Dental Center, our general dentistry treatments are available for the whole family. Through regular six-month checkups, we can provide you and your family with important advice and instructions on keeping your teeth and gums healthy and strong.
What Is General Dentistry?
The term “general dentistry” refers to a diverse set of treatment types and procedures that a dentist may perform during a regular checkup. It is recommended that children and adults schedule a dental checkup every six months. During these appointments, some general dentistry procedures you may undergo include:
- Orthodontics: Misaligned, crooked, and crowded teeth can be corrected through orthodontic treatment. We offer metal and clear brackets for patients of all ages seeking a straighter, more balanced smile.
- General Exams: During a general exam, your dentist will examine each tooth and the health of your gums, and will also look at past dental work. Routine exams are extremely important for identifying problems early when they may be easier to treat.
- Oral Cancer Screenings: These are an important part of every exam. During an oral cancer screening, the dentist will perform a visual exam as well as a physical exam of your throat and lymph nodes to detect any signs of cancer.
- Cleanings: Twice annual dental cleanings are important for the ongoing oral health of every patient. A dental cleaning is a simple procedure performed by a dentist or dental hygienist, and usually takes about twenty to thirty minutes to complete. It includes cleaning the teeth to remove plaque, polishing the teeth, and can sometimes involve fluoride treatments.
- Dental Fillings: If we find that you have a cavity, we may place a dental filling. Fillings stop the growth of bacteria and help protect the tooth. Our dentists are able to use tooth-colored fillings to maintain the natural color of the teeth.
- X-rays: These images help the dentist identify underlying problems that are not visible to the naked eye. Dental x-rays also provide an ongoing record of your dental health and procedures. It is typically required that we take x-rays at every other appointment.
- TMJ Evaluations: Many patients suffer from teeth grinding, though some may not even be aware since it often occurs at night while sleeping. We will evaluate your teeth and jaw to check for signs of TMJ disorder and make appropriate referrals.
- Mouthguards: If you grind or clench your teeth, we can create a custom mouthguard for you that will protect your teeth and minimize future grinding. Both hard and soft mouthguards are available. During your consultation, we can recommend which is best for your situation.
Why Is General Dentistry So Important?
The treatments beneath the umbrella of general dentistry include many that are necessary for the maintenance of your oral health, such as cleanings and x-rays, and many that protect your future health and decrease discomfort, such as TMJ disorder treatment and oral cancer screenings.
Our general dentistry services are available for the whole family and can make all the difference in your ongoing oral health care.
During your regular six-month checkup, we will complete a physical exam and take x-rays, alert you of any issues, discuss concerns you may have or pain you may be experiencing, and perform a dental cleaning. A regular general dentistry appointment helps you stay on top of oral health problems, which helps keep you and your family healthy and comfortable.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
At Madison Park Dental Center, our general dentistry services are available for the whole family and can make all the difference in your ongoing oral health care. Contact us today to schedule your dental cleaning and examination.